So many of you have asked me about Whole30 recently and I feel like it warranted a blog post to explain it all. It is TRULY amazing what you’ll try when your choices are so limited. I’m so thankful for trying new things and finding that I love them.
Things I’ve learned about myself:
1) I can say no. – I never thought it would be easy. Strangely though, once I committed to this, I’ve said no a lot and often times it isn’t hard. I just remind myself of my purpose for doing this.
2) I always have a choice. – I never have to feel obligated to eat something just because it is there. No more eating to eat or because its convenient or social.
3) Eating out is POSSIBLE. Hard, but possible. Last weekend, we went to Pizza King, the best pizza around and I said no to pizza. I ate my salad with homemade dressing (I brought it in a small mason jar) and it was so hard. But I have found that I can eat compliant at restaurants we frequent (ie: bunless burger, fajita meat w/ veggies, grilled chicken & steamed veggies)
4) Sugar is EVERYWHERE. Oh my lanta! I just didn’t realize this before. Definitely aware of what goes in my body now. So much sugar. I recommend watching “Fed Up” on Netflix. It is truly eye-opening to the sugar epidemic.
5) Surprisingly, I like black coffee and unsweet tea. Its also amazing what you will try when its your choice. I hated coconut milk in coffee, so that wasn’t going to work. But I like it black. I’m so shocked by this.
6) I don’t need to try TOO MUCH new. As in new recipes… Last week, I did that and ended up making things I hated. I need to rely on faithful good recipes and try 1-2 new ones a week.
Recipes I’ve loved on this journey:
-our spaghetti is compliant (i just swap noodles for spaghetti squash)
-paleo chili (so so so good)
-pulled pork carnitas (slow cooker//from the book)
-sweet potato hash
-roasted veggies (seasoned with mrs. dash)
7) This book is SUPER helpful. I refer to it all the time and it has great recipes too.
8) The DREAMS are real. On the website and in the book, they give you a timeline of what you may experience and days 12-15 are dreams about non-compliant food. I’ve dreamed that I’ve eaten a cookie and had to start over. Last night, I dreamed about milk and cereal. It’s crazy, y’all!
You’ll hear back from me once I finish this round and start reintroducing foods into my diet to see how they make me feel. Overall, this is the best thing I could’ve done for myself. I only wish I had challenged myself sooner.